logo

logo

Barrie Reads Evergreen 2010 Event

Barrie Reads Evergreen is following in the footsteps of CBC’s very successful Canada Reads. 10 local luminaries have been invited to champion the books that have been nominated for the Ontario Library Association’s prestigious Evergreen Award 2010, and they are already busy reading.

Join us for an evening of discussion, voting, refreshments, and door prizes when local luminaries will champion their chosen Evergreen books.

Friday September 24

7:00 – 9:00 p.m.

Angus Ross Room, Barrie Public Library


All adults welcome. For more information contact Alison Brumwell by email or by phone 728-1010 ext. 7084.

You can participate too! Start reading the nominated books now.



Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Man Booker Honours and Small Beneath the Sky

Good morning. I've got good news. One of this year's Evergreen Award nominees is in the running for another prestigious literary prize. February by Lisa Moore has been longlisted for the Man Booker prize, the annual contemporary fiction award to writers from the British Commonwealth and Ireland. Way to go Lisa. I'm not surprised in the least!
http://www.themanbookerprize.com/

Last night something happened to me that has never happened to me before. I was reading along through Small Beneath the Sky by Lorna Crozier when I read a passage that caused me to pause and say to myself, "What a beautiful beautiful thought!" The author is writing about the sky and says, "Under its blue glaze, you mark the smallest thing: a lichen scab on stone, thin legs of a crab spider on the petal of a rose, a snowdrift on the beak of a chickadee." I have been totally loving this book, a memoir by poet Lorna Crozier about growing up in Swift Current Saskatchewan. Although I grew up in Niagara Falls, I still find myself relating to many of her stories. I definitely recommend this book. You won't want to put it down.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the mix of poetic images with memoir in Small Beneath the Sky really caught me. I knew as soon as I read this book that I had to buy a copy for my Dad, and he is loving it too.
    As to February's inclusion on the Booker list, I'm thrilled. I really enjoyed the book, especially the reflections on past events.

    ReplyDelete